Gastrointestinal issues can cause pain and discomfort at any point in your life. Whether you're bothered by cramps, bloating, heartburn, frequent diarrhea, or other symptoms, your gastroenterologist in Burleson, TX, Dr. Mukhtar Anees of Southwest Gastroenterology Clinic and Surgery Center offers the care you need.
5 reasons to visit the gastroenterologist
It's a good idea to pay a visit to your gastroenterologist if:
- You frequently have heartburn: Although nearly everyone gets heartburn occasionally, the pain in your chest may happen regularly if you have gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD). GERD occurs when stomach acids flow backward into your esophagus, irritating the sensitive lining.
- You have abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea, nausea, constipation, or other symptoms: Many health conditions and diseases can cause these symptoms, including irritable bowel syndrome, gallbladder disease, appendicitis, inflammatory bowel disease, celiac disease, gastritis, or cancer. Your gastroenterologist will discuss your symptoms, perform an examination, and may schedule a few tests, such as endoscopies or colonoscopies, to determine why you aren't feeling well.
- You want to reduce your colon cancer risk: Almost 150,000 Americans are diagnosed with colon cancer every year, according to the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Unfortunately, colon cancer doesn't usually cause symptoms until the cancer is quite advanced. Screening colonoscopies can detect benign, pre-cancerous, and cancerous polyps and cancerous lesions. If you do happen to have colon cancer, prompt diagnosis and treatment could save your life. Initial screening colonoscopies are recommended at age 45.
- You have a chronic condition: It's important to schedule follow-up visits at the Burleson gastroenterology office as recommended if you have a chronic condition. Regular visits help your gastroenterologist monitor your condition and evaluate the effectiveness of the medications you take.
- Something just isn't right: You know your body better than anyone else. If you notice a change in your bowel habits, constant bloating, pain, or other symptoms that seem unusual, get in touch with your gastroenterologist. The sooner you visit the gastroenterologist, the sooner you can receive treatment that will help relieve your uncomfortable symptoms.
Improve your gastrointestinal health with a visit to your Burleson, TX, gastroenterologist, Dr. Mukhtar Anees. Call Southwest Gastroenterology Clinic and Surgery Center at (817) 293-9292 to schedule your appointment.